Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I WIN!

It has been a LONG time since I had a win in the vegetable department with Jacob. He used to eat EVERYTHING I put in front of him, but since about 18 months old, the only "vegetables" he'll even look in the direction of is corn and french fries (I did not say potatoes, I said french fries). I cook vegetables different ways, present them in different ways, "hide" them...I am just unsuccessful. Anyway, I've been giving him those pediasure-like drinks every other day so supplement his lack of veggies (p.s. he loves meat and fruits, so he IS eating, just not all the food groups). So while on a blog rabbit trail I hit a blog that spoke of "green smoothies." After searching a little more, I thought...this might just work.

It is getting warmer outside and fruits have been on sale lately so I had quite a bit in the fridge. So I pulled out my trusty Magic Bullet, threw in a few handfuls of spinach, some cantelope chunks and about 8 strawberries....then I tasted it and added 3/4 of a banana for more flavor. It was a little chunky so I added some water to make it more juice-like.

Below is Jacob drinking his green smoothie (see the green in the straw) and watching Robin Hood on Saturday. Now I'm trying to balance the smoothie (juice) with his regular milk consumption.... oh the trials and tribulations of a non-veggie eater



Next, spinach popsicles?

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Good idea! I wish my Magic Blender wasn't such a Magic Blunder. Georgia still eats some veggies but I may have to try that too! Maybe Chad and I should drink them...

Jeremy & Betsy said...

It tasted pretty good. I edited my post and linked the original blog I found it on....and also a spinach popsicle recipe. It really sounds terrible - but when you add the fruits you really don't taste it.